Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Dear 22 Minute Hard Corps: I love you, but it's over.

Or... why I'm breaking up with 22 Minute Hard Corps




I have NEVER quit a Beachbody workout program half way.

Every time I've started one with the intention of finishing, I have indeed finished!

21 Day Fix
21 Day Fix Extreme
Focus T25 (Alpha Beta and Gamma)
Master's Hammer & Chisel
Country Heat
Core De Force (2 back to back rounds!)

until now.

And it's breaking my heart, but 22 Minute Hard Corps, I just can't finish you.

True story: I put off trying this program for almost a year after it was released.

I didn't like the Tony Horton I'd met in the previous programs of his that I'd dabbled in (sorry Tony - but we're good now, really - you stole my heart with 22 Min HC - and one of your yoga workouts where you said Hitler should have done yoga!!).

and... I didn't think I'd be able to get a solid workout in 22 minutes.

But with the advent of of the Annual All Access Pass with Shakeology from Beachbody on Demand, and my Amazon FireStick, it was suddenly part of my fitness library - and I was ready for a new program.

With a little research, I realized that if I included the "cold start" (an 11 minute warmup), and did the core workouts that were part of the program three times a week, I wasn't really doing a 22 minute workout; I was doing a between 33 and 44 minute workout - which I could wrap my head around in the "effectiveness" department, much more readily than just 22 minutes.


So four weeks ago, I got started. I was having fun. I was enjoying the outdoor setting. I found a place in my heart where I could appreciate Tony Horton. I was getting really good, really effective workouts without wasting a ton of time on breaks between sets, chit chat, and messing around, which I definitely enjoyed. I was happy to be back to a weighted program, and loved the functional moves and working multiple body parts at once - serious muscle recruitment!

And talk about results! I was starting to understand all the transformation stories!


So if this program is so great, why am I quitting on it?

It's the simple fact that my almost 46 year old body, with severe arthritis in my feet, is rebelling against it. My feet hurt. There's a lot of jumping in this program, which is awesome - because that is the stuff that really gets the heart pumping - but it's also the stuff that aggravates my achy spots. And it's creating some new aches that I've never felt before - in my knees.

Maybe it's the season, and the weather going back and forth from spring to winter aggravating the situation. Or maybe this program is just not meant for me.

Whatever the reason, I'm going to be smart (not stubborn) about it and listen to my body. No pain no gain, but this is not the kind of pain they're talking about!!

So I'm back for a 2nd round of Country Heat - started yesterday, and excited for 30 days of it - followed by a round of Core de Force. These programs gave me great results, didn't hurt my feet or knees, and are both ready and waiting for me in my Beachbody on Demand library!

Plus, I can put some equipment away and reclaim my living room for a couple months!

The moral of the story? There are two!

1 - - listen to your bodies!
2 - - Beachbody on Demand All Access rocks! There really is something for everyone. I don't care what your physical limitation - if you can move, you can exercise. It excites the hell out of me that I can go from a military inspired boot camp style program, to country line dance style cardio, to a mixed martial arts program without missing a beat! And who knows what will be released over the next year, but they're promising at least two new programs to keep our fitness appetites whet!

My next virtual health and fitness accountability and support group begins prep week, Monday March 13th. Interested in learning more? Fill out my questionnaire and I'll get with you ASAP!

No comments:

Post a Comment