Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Vegan Zoodles Alfredo Recipe - That's "Nuts!"



Last night, I took a bit of a risk. I'd been hearing about nut cheeses and nut cream sauces for a long time, but was afraid of trying them - for a lot of reasons, taste being at the top of the list. I just couldn't imagine that smashed up nuts could possibly taste as good as a rich, creamy Alfredo sauce.

Was I ever wrong!!

My girlfriend commented about how much she loved cream sauces, and Italian meals like Fettucini Alfredo. Well, by now she knows I won't make pasta - there's just nothing healthy in that stuff. But that's ok, because she's fallen in love with zoodles (zucchini noodles) and is more than happy to forego the white pasta, for a plate full of sauteed zucchini noodles.

So I decided to risk it, found a recipe that looked simple enough, and went for it.

And it was a win! So much of a win that she said she'd like it if I made it once a month! And I have to say, I agree! it was flippin delicious!

So what's in it?

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup RAW cashews, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 2 - 4 garlic cloves, peeled (more or less depending on how much you like garlic)
  • 1/2 TBSP lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup diced onions (I used Vidalia)
  • 2 TBSP nutritional yeast (this is what makes it cheesy - you can add more or less to taste)
  • 1 tsp sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
  • 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
  • 1/4 black pepper (I added a little more)


What should you do with it?

Instructions:

  1. After the cashews have soaked overnight for at least 6 hours, drain and rinse them.
  2. Add the cashews and all other ingredients to a high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
Yup, it was just that simple!

Meanwhile, my partner in crime spiralized 4 medium-large zucchini, and I cooked a pound and a half of plain boneless skinless chicken breast on my Foreman Grill.

In a large wok or skillet, sautee the zoodles until they cook down a bit, and while cooking down, cube the cooked chicken breast into 1" cubes.

Once the zoodles are cooked down, toss in the chicken, and pour the cashew Alfredo sauce on top. Mix well and ENJOY!



It was even better the 2nd night, after it thickened a little bit.

We will DEFINITELY be making it again!

If you like recipes like this, and want to see more, check out my Pinterest recipes board.

If you're looking for other information about living a healthier lifestyle, find me on Facebook and message me, or email me. I'd love to connect!

And if you decide to make this, let me know what you thought!!! I'd love to hear your feedback and see your pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment